High School Diploma


The East Side Adult Education Program is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) to grant high school diplomas.  The High School Diploma Program is open to adults 18 years or older. Over fifty high school classes are offered during the day at Independence Adult Center and during the evening at Independence Adult Center, Overfelt Adult Center and Andrew Hill High School. Students must meet all state and local requirements for graduation. Residency for high school graduation requires that a student must be enrolled and pass 10 units of credit at the East Side Adult Education program.

All new enrolling students must take a placement examination and meet with a counselor before attending classes. If you are interested in earning a diploma, you must:

• Call one of the locations listed below for an appointment to take a Placement Evaluation.

• After your Placement Evaluation, make an appointment to see a counselor, who will enroll you in appropriate classes.  Bring transcripts from any previous high schools and or schools you have attended to the counseling appointment.

Counseling Hours: Monday through Thursday 9:00am – 1:00pm; 6:00pm – 9:30pm
Counseling Hours: Wednesday 6:00pm – 9:30pm
ANDREW HILL ADULT CENTER: (At Andrew Hill High School)
Counseling Hours: Thursday 6:00pm – 9:30pm
For the students’ convenience, books are sold in the Book Room at Independence Adult Center. Instructors will provide more specific information. Purchase of textbook is strongly recommended.

Classes Offered

Review the Schedule of Classes by clicking the link below and pick the classes and locations that are best for you.  
Click HERE to see the CLASSES PDF
For phone numbers and locations, check the MAP by CLICKING HERE.

Computer Labs:


Computer-aided instruction 

supplements the majority of our high school subjects, GED preparation, Adult Basic Literacy and English as a Second Language classes at the Independence Adult Center (IAC).  Students are scheduled into the Computer Lab by their classroom teachers, so students can enhance their language, math, reading, writing, spelling and other skills.  The network delivers software, tailored to each student's needs.  The students are encouraged to take advantage of all the different features available on the IAC computer network.




  • Graduation  Requirements

    • 1. Meet unit requirements

    • 2. Pass required courses

  • Courses  Required

  • Subjects

  • Credits

  • English

  • 40

  • Math

  • 20

  • Biological Science

  • 10

  • Physical Science

  • 10

  • World History

  • 10

  • U.S. History

  • 10

  • Government, Civics

  • 5

  • Economics

  • 5

  • Fine Arts or Foreign Lang.

  • 10

  • Electives

  • 70

  • Total

  • 190

    • Residency  Requirement

      • Students must complete 10 credits in residency.  Adult students may concurrently enroll in East Side Adult Education (ESAE) and a class or classes at the ROC/P to fulfill this requirement.  However,students who were enrolled in the ROC/P in high school or prior to enrolling ESAE may not count ROC/P course work toward fulfilling the residency requirement.  Courses taken in GED and Vocational Education are considered High School Diploma courses and credits may be applied toward a high school diploma or residency requirements.

    • Required Exit Exam

      • Starting in 2018 passing the California High School Exit Exam will be a graduation requirement. This two-day exam includes a math and an English language arts section.

      • The Exit Exam will be administered 2-3 times each school year. Students will be notified of the testing dates and the registration process prior to each testing period.

      • Study Skills (CAHSEE) classes are offered to help students prepare for the exam.


    Sources of Credit:

    The evaluation of an adult's prior training, education, and experience is done on an individual basis since so many factors are involved. Credit may be gained in the following ways:

    Attendance in and passing of the required high school diploma course

    Credit for previous high school courses

    GED test scores

    Military service

    Work experience

    Knowledge of a foreign language

    Classes  Available:




    English Review

    English Language Arts

    English Composition

    English 1AB

    English 2AB

    Communications A or B


    Transitional English


    English Lab (1AB - 4AB)

    Mathematics Lab

    Social Science Lab


    Geometry AB

    Introduction to Algebra

    Algebra 1AB

    General Science

    Life Science AB

    Physical Science AB

    Social Science

    World History AB

    U.S. History AB

    U.S. Government



    GED Test Preparation

    Study Skills (CAHSEE)

    Fine Arts

    Fine Arts AB


    Useful English Links